Permanent download is the permanent copy of audio files from a website onto a local computer or mobile device.
Limited download is the copy of audio files from a website onto a local computer or mobile device only by subscription.
These files become inaccessible once the subscription has expired.
A tariff for the years
2008, 2009 and 2010 was officially certified
by the Copyright Board of Canada. The tariff will remain in effect until a new tariff is approved. The new tariff will be
To see the list of online music services authorized to distribute musical works,
What rights does this license authorize ?
This license, which applies to all online music services in Canada, authorizes you to:
- Reproduce all or part of a musical work in the repertoire for the purpose of transmitting it in a file to consumers in Canada via the Internet or
another similar computer network, including by wireless transmission.
- Authorize a person to reproduce the musical work for the purpose of delivering to the service a file that can then be reproduced and transmitted
pursuant to paragraph a).
- Authorize consumers in Canada to further reproduce the musical work for their own private use.
Unauthorized use under the Tariff:
- A work may not be reproduced in a medley, to create a mix or for use in a sample;
- A musical work may not be associated for advertising purposes to a product, service, cause or institution;
- The rights holder to a sound recording of a musical work may not authorize the reproduction of a work.
How to obtain a license
automatically grants licences for permanent or limited download of audio files upon payment of the royalties foreseen under the Tariff.
Please note that we are currently waiting for the Copyright Board’s approval of our Tariffs for the years 2011, 2012 and 2013.
To obtain a license, contact the Audio Licensing Department by email at email@example.com
or call 514 845-3268, ext. 232.
For permanent downloads:
- 9.9% of the amount paid by the consumer for the download, subject to a minimum of $0,0392 per file in a bundle containing 13 files
or more and of $0,0686 per file in all other cases.
For limited downloads:
- 9.9% of the amount paid by the consumer subject to a minimum of $0,99 per subscriber (including mobility) and of $0,66 per
subscriber (excluding mobility).
Please click on the years to open the Tariffs proposed for