An album is a sound recording of several musical works (in general more than twelve) by the same artist on a physical medium, such as a
compact disc. The following information also applies to a single.
What rights does this license authorize?
Applicable only to label companies, this license authorizes them to:
- Record a musical work on an album in its original form;
- Produce physical copies from this album;
- Put into circulation and sell, either directly or by a third party, these physical copies to consumers, uniquely for domestic or private
use, on the condition that these copies are circulated under the name of the label company or under one of the brand names exclusively
belonging to it.
How to obtain a license
- Members of the Association québécoise de l'industrie du disque, du spectacle et de la vidéo (ADISQ): on May 30, 2012,
SODRAC and ADISQ reached an agreement in principle concerning phonogram (CDs) and music videogram royalties (DVDs). This agreement in principle
approved by our respective decision-making bodies will be set out in the near future in a final agreement.
This agreement covers a three-year period, from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2014. Any licence for recordings before this period is
subject to the terms and conditions of the former agreement
(in French only) and of the Amendement à la licence cadre
(in French only). We will provide you with full information on the terms and conditions of the new agreement, and on its implementing rules,
as soon as the final version is completed. For more information, please contact the ADISQ labels Supervisor at 514-845-3268, ext. 227.
- Members of Music Canada (formerly the Canadian Recording Industry Association, CRIA), specific conditions apply
according to the licences issued. For more information, please contact a Music Canada Labels Agent at 514 845-3268, ext. 245.
- All other label companies who have not signed a collective agreement, you must fill out the Online License Application Form.
When we have received your payment, we will send you the license, which you must sign and date. You must then send back the "SODRAC" copy
only. For additional quantities of the same product, you must obtain a new license. If you have any questions, please email the Audio
Licensing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (514) 845 3268, ext. 251.
For ADISQ members:
- Per work rate of $0.086 foreseen in the SODRAC-ADISQ agreement in principle for the period of January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2014
For Music Canada members:
- Rate foreseen in the SODRAC-Music Canada agreement applied in the licences issued to these members
For label companies who have not signed a collective agreement:
- $0.096 for a work of five minutes or less
Administrative fees apply to all licences for products for pressing. You must send us a copy of the product along with a copy of your
manufacturer's invoice or purchase order when the mastering is completed and before the release and marketing date.